Walt Whitman and his artifacts


My first impression and thoughts 

*sidenote: I can't really read cursive so I was barely able to make out any of the words, so I have no idea what inner thoughts are shown sorry!

When first looking through Whitman's notebook I immediately notice in the description that this notebook is meant to show Whitman's "conversations" with Abraham Lincoln and how they all began in a dream. On page 3 I can make out "brochure" and "two characters .. a dialogue between A. L." This is meant to introduce the reader into how this is going to be conversations between them two. I also noticed a stamp on the page and what I believe to be of an eagle but I'm not sure what that means and this stamp is used at the end of almost every single page. On page 4 I can make out "two religious platforms" but the rest of that page is a mess with a punch of words either crossed out or underlined. As the pages continue Whitman starts to question Lincoln a lot ( idk what about?) and I can make out the word "Libertad" or "Liberty". Then he begins what I'm assuming is a poem about a ship of libertad and humanity and he keeps saying the word "ship" over and over again this is what made me assume this was a poem. Pages 11 and after include drawings: first of a man with a beard, and then that same man but with a more cartoonish body which really contrasts the realistic man's face. Next, that same man, no body, but now a hat and then the man with his face darkened. I think these men are supposed to show how Whitman views himself. Next he has a random harp alone on the page. The page following has the words "The Bohemian" very darkly written and "Saturday press" written under it, I'm assuming that is the name of a newspaper. Page 17 has a poem (he wrote "poem" this time!) titled "The Hills of Brooklyn". And lastly the last page includes a drawing of a skeleton woman, possibly marking the end of his notebook (death= the end). 


Again.. but with notes! 

*So thankful for these notes or else I'd be so lost

Firstly, it is revealed that Whitman scribbled many names and addresses so I'm assuming this is because he carried this small notebook around with him, it served multiple purposes and one of which included a "contact book". It is revealed how Whitman never spoke to Lincoln but did often encounter Lincoln when he rode past to his summer cottage, Whitman noted his sad face, this helps to reveal how Whitman probably felt connected to Lincoln and this is probably why he envisioned these conversations with him and wanted to display his own thoughts and opinions regarding the civil war tension (he wrote "Lessons for a president elect"). The red stamp is a Library of Congress collection mark (ah, yes mystery solved!). Whitman's mention of the religious platforms, is stated because it reveals his thoughts on how religion was one of the factors that was creating tension before the civil war and how he felt it was tearing the nation apart and wished the create a middle ground or "third religion".  Whitman's poem "Libertad" shows how he is aware of the issues in the nation and he believes liberty is at risk. His poem "Ship of the State" is meant to show how Whitman wanted Lincoln to take charge and control this wild "ship" aka the U.S. and that is why Lincoln is the "Captain". Whitman is aware of the issues in the U.S. and he represent this through the waves that hit the ship. The drawings of Whitman were not done by Whitman himself though so I doubt they really reveal anything about Whitman really. But they do help to show how sociable Whitman was because he would often pass his notebook around when drinking with friends. The drawings of him also suggest how much of a mystery he must have been to others, in the description of Whitman the person is stating how no one really knew what type of person Whitman was :"an actor? a military officer? A clergyman?" . "The Hills of Brooklyn" reveal Whitman's conflicting thoughts over whether the civil war would be "the last war" he was unsure of the outcome and how negatively it could impact the U.S.. 






Comments

  1. I really liked how during your observations you took notice of what would be in Lincoln's and Whitman's conversation. I also liked how you were able to point out specific words that Whitman wrote and try to place them together and into some sort of meaning. As well as narrowing it down that it was of his poems. I also like your connection of the skeleton and having it be the end of the notebook, but I also think it could mean something bigger, like the end of something (like war or liberty or his belief for something) that made him end his notebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought your observations were very interesting! I also stink at reading cursive, and I think that you were able to grasp what Whitman was saying, especially with the conversation that might have happened between Whitman and Lincoln. It's intriguing that some of Whitman's notes were seen by Congress, and I think that this was because of his progressiveness and his eclectic thinking during that time period. I also thought that your connection to death was interesting and I thought it was a very symbolic way of ending the journal - whether it actually meant death or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading your thought process as you read through the notes. What immediately caught my attention that you mentioned was his word choice of Libertad. I found that quite interesting and how it did catch your eye. I wish you would have gone a bit moron depth in regards to what he was trying to achieve when he included that word instead of liberty itself.. does that make sense? I am also very impressed with how you put together the thoughts of both Lincoln and Whitman, two very impactful men in their times and history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helloooooooo! I thought it was very interesting how you made sure to mention religion and how Whitman wanted to create a third religion, one that doesn't tear people apart. However, I think we are aware that that's easier said that done. You mentioned Whitman's admiration for Lincoln, which is by far my favorite part of his journal. I think it would be cool to know if Whitman had any parts of Lincoln that he didn't like. Additionally, when Whitman is described as an actor, an officer, etc., it represents how Whitman was none of those things and all of them at the same time since he's connected to the universe...I think. I really liked this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Maria. I think the idea of creating a third religion is really interesting here because it lets individuals understand Whitman's ideals and how he wrote leaves of grass to unite all kinds of people which is why it can be considered timeless. Another thing is when he mentions that whitman is an officer and an actor it shows how he is trying to be inclusive of all the people he is writing for.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sinful ads

Wing Young Huie and Atwood

Netflix and Macbeth?