The American Dreamers

 http://www.asianfortunenews.com/2017/07/advocates-urge-congress-to-pass-2017-dream-act/
http://www.udwa.org/2017/09/udw-condemns-trumps-decision-destroy-american-dream-daca-recipients/ 

The American Dream

What is this 'American dream'?

 Well, I would describe it as the ability to be able to pursue your dreams whether they be become rich, own a house, or go to college. I think it's called the American dream because the United States allows the opportunity for one to pursue one's dreams ( but I don't think it has to be US specific). You can become whoever you want to be. 

When looking up pictures for this blog post all depictions of the American Dream were very negative, like as if pursuing the American dream will leave you unhappy and in debt. I found this very confusing. I also noticed how many Americans' kind of take this 'American dream' for granted. They forget that it's there and think that their dreams are unattainable, meanwhile I think that hard work will and does pay off and that the American dream is a real thing, not some imaginary idea. Being an immigrant from immigrant parents we see the U.S. as this amazing land that allows us to do the things we wouldn't be able to do in our own countries. For me the American Dream is very positive, it allows me the opportunity to do what I dream of doing (go to college and pursue a career! hopefully!) . In the Great Gatsby this is seen in how all of the characters moved east in order to be who they strive to be. In a sense Nick, Daisy, Tom, and Gatsby are 'immigrating' in order to pursue the American dream. And Gatsby's American dream is having Daisy. 


I view wealth as having large amounts of money (Ex. Gatsby and Tom) but I think the definition varies depending on the person. I think Americans view poverty as a negative thing that they wish to get out of and wealth as a more positive thing. Like how Gatsby tried to escape from his poor family background and create a new name for himself. I also think that this is what many people during the 1920's did. They tried to hide their identities and portrayed themselves as these people who have these lavish and fancy lifestyles. But I also feel as though people during the 1920's viewed becoming wealthy as something they wanted to attain, but they failed to view the negative aspects of it. Like how becoming wealthy such as Gatsby can have negative side effects. Such as how Gatsby's wealth was mostly for show (for Daisy) and he spent his entire life just waiting to impress her and he failed to view the bad ( and illegal) things he was doing in order to become wealthy. I also think Tom and Daisy showed negative effects of it too. Like how Nick and Gatsby described Daisy's voice as full of money. I think Daisy showed the perfect example of a girl during the 1920's who just wished to be wealthy and once she achieved that she acted very carelessly and didn't care about others at all. She did what she wanted with whomever she wanted and had no consequences because she's wealthy. 

I view wealth as something attainable because wealth can be different for everyone. I think everyone has their own definition of wealth that they can achieve, such as goals. But everyone's experience fulfilling their American Dream will obviously all be different. 

*Sorry if I rambled and made no sense whatsoever.


https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/04/upshot/the-transformation-of-the-american-dream.html

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed reading your blog post. You included personal connections and tied the Great Gatsby in as well, which are things I probably should have done more of. I obviously cannot really relate to your interpretation of the American Dream. I have always lived in the United States and I guess that I have just always expected that I would go to college and get a job. Reading your post made me think more about how often times, I take what I have and where I live for granted. It also helped to open my eyes to new perspectives of the American Dream. I discussed different perspectives withing my post, but those perspectives aren't mine so I couldn't really connect with them or develop them further. Therefore, in reading your post, I feel like I have at least a little better understanding of your perspective of the American Dream, and I am glad I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading your blog. I had a feeling we'd have a similar idea of it. I guess it's because we're from different cultures and are a bit similar. I enjoyed seeing your connections between the test as well as your personal thoughts. I feel like the American Dream is the beginning of something new and like you mentioned, being able to become whoever. I get that. The negative connotations.. I get those too. Your connection to it all was the icing on the cake !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sinful ads

Wing Young Huie and Atwood

Netflix and Macbeth?