Names and Individuality

Melanie 


Melanie. This is the name that I have researched. But first, a little history on my experience with my name. I actually got the name Melanie, after actress Melanie Griffith, and my parents only knew of her because she was Antonio Bandera's Wife. Growing up I actually hated my name because I never knew anyone with the same name as me, I felt like no one had the name Melanie because everyone hated it. I actually would try to go by the nickname Mellie because I knew I girl on twitter with that name and I thought it was the coolest name ever. But I actually have 2 nicknames an english and spanish one. My "Spanish" nickname is Mela, and my "English" one is Mel. But other than that I found my name to be pretty common in regular society (I have a lot of name keychains). I do believe that my name has brought me privilege, I don't actually have any examples of it but because my name is pretty "American" no one usually makes any judgments based on it or judge me because of my name and I hate that things as simple as names can create prejudices. 

As for last names, I've always hated it because I have two last names. Padron (from my dad)Acuna(from my mom) . So my full name is Melanie Mikaela Padron Acuna. A mouth full, am I right? Usually in public settings though I only go by Padron because most Americans only have one last name, and I just learned to conform. But when I marry I do not plan to change my last name. Padron Acuna is sticking by me FOREVER. Just as my mom has done. As for children, I would like to just like to combine it with my spouse's just like mine is. But just because I have chosen to not change my last name, hating women that do would just go against my feminist beliefs. Woman should be free to do whatever they want really.

So now onto the actual definition of my name. According to Urban Dictionary (credible source?) , Melanie is "A person who will always get to the point and hates too many details. It wont interest her - AT ALL. Will listen and hear things that you wont even have to say out loud. She naturally understands people and accepts them. Even the weird and different. Has extremely high ambition and morality but wont force any on anyone else." When looking at this definition I see that it is a very broad definition that could really apply to anyone. Things like, "A person who will always get to the point and hates too many details. It wont interest her - AT ALL." that could be anyone really, but I do have to say that this applies to me. But, I do find myself relating to parts of it. Especially the understanding people and accepting them part. But overall that is not how I would define myself as a person. I think that a person is too complex to be described by just their name. 

In Anna Quindlen's essay, "The Name is Mine", she talks about how she is has problems with being an individual, while also being part of her family of four. I had never really thought of this concept so when first thinking of this I spent literally a week trying to come with an example of the same situation. But then it dawned upon me, so here it goes!

My example of me feeling as two is when it comes to my heritage. Okay so I was born in Uruguay, but I grew up my entire life here in the U.S. My only knowledge of my country and its language was always through my parents. My Spanish speaking abilities aren't necessarily that bad but I only know the basic words that I've been taught by my parents, Things such as formal words, spelling and grammar I am horrible at. Also I can't roll my R's so you can imagine what kind of disappointment I am to the Hispanic community (I'm joking ). So when it comes to talking to other Hispanics I tend to mess up my words or not understand half of what they are saying. 

I have always been my own person but being a part of this community has created some dilemmas. I've always felt a part of the Hispanic community, but so many times I've been mocked by it for "not being Hispanic enough" because I don't know all of the customs or my Spanish is basic. I feel connected to the community because that is where I am from and all I've ever known but I also feel like there is no one way to be a Hispanic. It is very broad and there are no rules to it. I love being Hispanic and I am so greatly proud of being it, but problems arise when one is a part of any community. I'm just fortunate enough that my community is the has the best tasting food  ;)  

Comments

  1. Your name's meaning and how you analyzed it in connection to your actual personality is well-done. I think it's really interesting that you brought up how one's name can bring about judgement from others. I've never really thought about it (I guess because I have the most boring, traditional American name ever) but that is a sad fact, and it exposes some really disgusting prejudices that we have in society still to this day. The concept of not being "Hispanic enough" and being judged for that is a really good example of straddling two worlds that you are definitely a part of (American culture and Uruguayan/Hispanic culture) and it shows how you've dealt with this all your life, but still remained true to yourself and ignored any judgement! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way you describe your name and what it has meant to you throughout your life definitely helps me grow a larger understanding of who you are. It's weird isn't it, just as you mentioned. How a name could have such a large effect like that. I can relate to you on the last name aspect. When I was younger, I hated my last name. A lot of people associated it with another type of hispanic, not like it was an issue but I just wanted it to be associated with where my family actually came from. At one point of my life I felt like I wasn't hispanic enough and that is because I wasn't as connected with my roots and I constantly compared myself to other races, I was way younger then. Now I'm so far past that and I 100% understand what you mean and where you come from. I do think you can connect to your roots though. Dive right into your culture, constantly talk to family, and never ever compare yourself to other places. Where your from is perfect because it's a part of you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Netflix and Macbeth?

Story time!

Sinful ads